Located in Cook County, about 29 miles Northwest of the Chicago Loop, Inverness is surrounded by Barrington, Rolling Meadows, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg and Palatine. It covers 6 square miles of rolling, wooded hills, and was named for the capital of the Scottish Highlands by developer Arthur T. McIntosh, in the 1920’s. He was seeking a location for a family summer retreat – and decided this area was an excellent site for development. By 1929, McIntosh had purchased several dairy farms, grain farms and a hog farm – as well as the Cudahy golf course. Seeking to preserve Inverness’s natural landscape, McIntosh and associate, Way Thompson, set a design to recreate a setting similar to New England – with strict construction standards that included cleverly designed roads to provide privacy and protect the natural setting from the traffic of neighboring towns. All lots were at least one acre in size – and a no fence policy was established for landscape and scenery flow.
Despite the Great Depression, the lots went up for sale in 1939. The first homes constructed sold for a hefty (at that time) price of $9000 to $20,000, providing the foundation for Inverness’s standing as an exclusive village. Incorporating in 1962, Inverness saw gradual expansion through 1970, and a more major increase through the 1990’s, aided by annexation of some bordering areas. This pushed the population to 6,749 by the year 2000. Though it is an independent community with its own village president, Inverness has linked itself to adjoining towns for key services, such as fire prevention and treatment. It has no industry to speak of, other than a private golf course. Route 68 and Route 14 provide access to other suburbs, while the Metra commuter rail is available in both neighboring Barrington and Palatine.
Today, the Inverness Community Association, a non-profit volunteer group, develops and runs social, recreational and civic interests in the community. Since its founding in 1944, the Association has been dedicated to providing community events that help define the unique character and spirit of the Village.
In 1984 the Association deeded the land now known as North Park to start the Inverness Park District, which added South Park and Maggie Rogers Park to the Park District over the years. The Park District offers a variety of programs including Summer Camp, Youth Sports Camps, Tennis, American Red Cross Babysitting and more seasonal adult and youth classes. Extensive playground, garden and nature paths are available, as well as basketball and tennis courts. Community events such as Newcomers Meet and Greet and Open House, Easter and Halloween Parties, a Spring Concert in the Park, and Fourth of July Fun Run/Walk ensure that there are multiple timely opportunities to get involved in the community from the Get-Go.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.